When is a contract required?
- The supplier presents you with a contract for goods or services being provided.
- Services performed domestically which total $10,000 or more.
- Purchases involving the following:
- Ownership of products.
- Licensing of products.
- Photography or videography.
- Risk mitigation, including high-risk entertainment.
- Programs involving children.
- Critical or restricted data usage.
- Additional situations as determined by Purchasing. Contact the commodity team listed below.
Services performed internationally which total $5,000 or more. Services performed internationally are defined as:
- Services performed overseas by a non-US entity.
- Services performed in the US by a non-US entity.
- Services performed overseas by a US entity.
If you are unsure if a contract is required for your situation, contact the buying team associated with the good or service you are trying to purchase.
Signing ContractsSignatory authority, or the ability to legally sign an agreement on behalf of an institution, is vested in the Board of Trustees of Indiana University and delegated to specific IU staff.
If you have not been explicitly told that you are able to sign a contract on behalf of the university, assume you cannot legally sign the document.
Use a Contract Request Form to submit a contract for signature, or request a contract be developed.
ResourcesGeneral Counsel’s Office (OVPGC) web templates: If you need a contract but are not making a purchase, use a web template to request a contract from OVPGC. Attach the completed web template to the Contract Request Form.
- Complete a Contract Request Form – Purchasing – coming soon!
- Complete a Contract Request Form – OVPGC – coming soon!
- Submit a Requisition with a Contract – coming soon!
Additional SupportWant to learn more? Attend a training or office hours session.
Regional staff may also contact your Campus Resource for additional support.
For questions related to BUY.IU and its procedures, contact the Purchasing Help Desk by email at email@example.com or call (812) 855-3720.