- Charge Rates for Hard Drive or Media Destruction
- Furniture Purchases
- Hard Drive Destruction Procedures
- International Service Engagements - ($5,000 or More)
- Relocation - Office and/or Research Equipment
- Standard Operating Procedures
Small Office accessories for personal/private offices may now be purchased using your IU Purchasing card. Following is a list of examples:
- Floor and Desk Lamps (must be UL listed)
- Garment racks & coat trees
- Clocks for private offices
- Frames for diplomas or certificates for private offices
Purchasing Card use does not extend to the purchase of furniture or furnishings which may be governed by campus standards or regulatory compliance in the case of fire codes, ADA compliance, etc.
OPEN LINE ITEMS
Open Line Items do not require a Request for Service and are purchased by initiating a catalog or non-catalog order in BUY.IU. These items have been reviewed to meet safety and compliance standards. For a complete list, go to the IU Catalog. There are two types of line items.
Type 1: Open Line Items Not Requiring Facilities Installation
- These items are for private office spaces, supply rooms and labs.
- This category includes the following:
- Lab stools
- Guest chairs
- File cabinets
- Storage cabinets
- Wire shelving
- Mobile marker, white, and cork boards
Type 2: Open Line Items Requiring Facilities Installation
- Items attached to the building that requires Facilities’ installation services to assure electrical, networking or plumbing within buildings behind the walls are not compromised. Work Request Facility Operations
- In instances where installation of these items are performed without Facilities, any costs of damages to buildings will be the responsibility of the unit.
- This category includes the following:
- Wall mounted marker, white, and cork boards
- Wall mounted ergonomic items such as monitor stands
- Display units
- Coat Hooks
FURNITURE & FURNISHINGS
Considered an asset of Indiana University, not the individual, department or organization.
- A “Request for Service, Furniture” should be completed when acquiring and/or reconfiguring furniture or furnishings for any Indiana University owned or occupied space. Click “Enter a Request for Service” (first link).
- Within the form, for “Request Type” check the checkbox for “Furniture Only”.
- Click Continue; fill out and submit form.
- After completing the form a project number and a designer will be assigned. Users will receive an email response with that project number immediately and the assigned designer information within 5 days. The designer will work directly with the department and engage Purchasing as necessary (as identified between Capital Projects Office and Purchasing). Designer will encourage the user to be sure their fiscal officer is aware of the request for furniture.
PLACING THE ORDER
- Upon approval of the design and specifications by department, a design representative from Capital Projects Office will enter the requisition into BUY.IU on behalf of the department using the departments identified account number.
- The Requisition will route to the Fiscal Officer or Fiscal Officer Delegate for approval with the appropriate transaction information attached to the document (pricing schedule, design layout, etc.) so the fiscal officer has all information required to review before approving the requisition. If the order is less than $10,000 and using a contracted vendor, a Purchase Order will automatically transmit to the vendor after fiscal officer approval.
- Furniture or furnishings include, but are not limited to:
- Reupholstering Services
- Tables (i.e. Conference, End/Coffee)
- Technology Related Furniture
- Outdoor Furniture
- Furniture that will be placed in public areas
- Floorcoverings (any loose or installed material on the floor, to include rugs)
- Wallcovering (any material installed on/ adhered to the wall)
- Window Covering (any material installed on or at a window)
- Window Film on interior or exterior windows
- Casework/ millwork
- Area rug
For a complete listing of furniture and furnishings approved by the Capital Projects Office and Purchasing, that do not require a Request for Service form, click here:
Users should periodically check the list for added items and changes in pricing.
Procurement Services Contacts
- Pam Copenhaver, Purchasing Contract Manager, (317) 274-5343
- Jaymee Zapanta, Institutional Purchasing Representative, (317) 274-8978
- Michele Bucklin, Capital Projects Interior Designer, (812) 855-9931
As per Indiana University Purchasing Policy 14.1, departments are individually responsible for insuring that no sensitive or confidential data can be recovered from their computers prior to sending the computer to IUB Surplus Stores. For the past several years IUB Surplus Stores has taken the additional initiative to wipe every hard drive received to the latest Department of Defense (DoD) standards. The IUB Surplus Stores wiping process has been approved by both the Information Technology Security Office and Internal Audit. The vast majority of computer hard drives can be and have been successfully wiped to DoD standards.
Occasionally a few hard drives are unable to be wiped due to damage, obsolescence, or other factors. In those occasions, IUB Surplus Stores will remove the hard drive and it will be "shredded" onsite using a Hard Drive/Media destruction device.
Departments are strongly encouraged to leave the hard drives in the computers they are sending to IUB Surplus Stores. Departments that decide to remove their hard drives prior to sending the computers to IUB Surplus Stores will be responsible for paying the cost of the hard drive destruction service at the time those loose hard drives arrive at Surplus Stores. The reason for this charge is that IUB Surplus Stores, as a self-supporting auxiliary, receives the majority of its revenue from the sale of used computer systems. In order to sell a used computer system it is necessary that the computer have a working hard drive. There is virtually no market for computers without them.
IU Surplus Stores also has the onsite capabilities to destroy/shred CD’s and DVD’s, cell phones and other data storage devices. If it will fit in the machine it can be shredded!
- In a personal computer - No Charge
- Removed from a personal computer: packaged and labeled in a box - $3.25 per hard drive
- All other items will be charged at $3.00 per pound / $1.00 minimum.
Securely box your items and provide an IU account number for billing. You are welcome to drop off the items or have Surplus Stores pick them up at no charge.
If a department has loose hard drives (already pulled from the computer) or any other media that they would prefer to witness being destroyed, just contact IUB Surplus Stores and they will be glad to set up an appointment to accommodate those requests.
- Discuss with your department the relocation of office/research equipment to an IU address. They will set the budget.
- After you communicate your moving company selection to your department contact person, your department will initiate a requisition containing the following information:
- Name of selected company
- A second line item with the Estimate/Survey number and dollar total for the office relocation with the object code 5027
- Employee name and phone number
- Origin and Destination Cities
- Date of Move
- Dollar limit (e.g. up to $x - the actual cost of the relocation will vary from the estimate depending on the actual weight and number of boxes, etc.)
- Fax all estimates to Purchasing, 812-855-7839
- Purchasing will create the purchase order and fax it to the company.